To improve and enhance our children’s indoor/outdoor recess, lunchtime and outdoor play and learning experiences, enabling them to be outside as often as possible, connecting with nature.
Since it’s inception in the Fall of 2015, the recess committee has accomplished and been involved in a number of initiatives:
- Organize parents volunteers to help out during lunch and recess at The Annex to supplement lunch and recess aid staff provided by the District.
- Created an outdoor classroom at the Annex using donated logs with the help of parent Neil Chambers of Chambers Design. Plans are underway to do the same at The Big School.
- Ensure there are ample supplies of toys, games and other supplies for indoor lunch periods.
- Partnered with SM Cares to beautify the blacktop at the Big School with a numbers grid, improved 4 square areas, a US map and SMS logo
- Teamed up with Neil Chambers of Chambers Design, a SMS parent and sustainable landscape designer, to create an outdoor classroom and to develop a master plan to create an eco-learning space at The Annex, with future plans to create both at The Big School
- Partnered with The Green Team and SM Cares to clean up and prepare the Annex grounds for the eco-learning space
- Teamed with a parent grant writer and Mrs. DeVomecourt to apply for a grant for the Annex outdoor space
- Met with district representatives to secure stipends for teachers and improve lunch/recess to help at lunch/recess at the Annex
- Met with district representatives to discuss lunch food items and improving/enhancing lunch options for our children. This can and should be an ongoing effort.
WHAT WE DO:
There are two main opportunities for parents to volunteer throughout the 2017-2018 school year:
Parent Lunch/Recess Support at the Annex
Parent volunteers are requested to assist where needed during the lunch/recess hour of 11:30 am – 12:30 pm at the Annex. Volunteers may be asked to assist inside, helping out with lunch duty, hall/bathroom monitoring, indoor recess, or outside, monitoring children on the playground, blacktop, or assisting with the running laps program if field conditions permit. Signup online here. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Outdoor Classroom/Eco-Learning Space
We have begun a multi-year project with parent Neil Chambers (see above) who has graciously created a master plan for the front, side and back of the Annex and plan to do the same at The Big School in the future. If you have any interest or ideas in helping to raise money or contribute in some way to creating a beautiful outdoor eco-learning space, please let us know! We will be partnering with The Green Team to apply for grants for this space, and have secured some funds from the PTA, and have/will be applying for additional grants, but we welcome any additional support you may be able to provide.
If you are interested in volunteering or if you have any ideas and want to help improve lunch, recess and/or the outdoor space at SMS, please contact Committee Head, Andrea Garrido at firstname.lastname@example.org or Annex Parent Volunteer Coordinator, Lorena Salzmann at email@example.com.